Pages

▼

Saturday, July 5, 2014

Third Time Lapse Carving the 2nd Ball and Claw Foot

This is the third post following the progress of carving the Newport Ball and Claw Foot. 
Again I used time lapse pictures to record the steps.  Hopefully,  you are not totally bored (not board) at watching me carve the foot.  Since I have discovered how to do time lapse I thought that I would record all of the steps in carving one complete foot.  I should finish in one or two more segments.
In this video I round over the ball on the bottom four side and create and under cut the rear talon.
Since Doug Moulder wanted my wonderful voice instead of the music, I added a running commentary to this video.
One of the lower sides of the ball really gave me fits in carving.  The grain was quilted so no matter which angle I came at it, it would chip out.  Leaving holes instead of rounding over.  I used a pairing motion and finally files to finish that side.  It was the only one like that, what a pain in the ....
Here is today's video:

2 comments:

  1. There's that voice I needed to hear, and bye the way, well done on that difficult grain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never carved anything like it. It was though. That curly maple for the desk was similar and fortunately I did not have to carve that much.

      Delete